Suggest treatment for osteoarthritis

Dr. Sunil Kumar Srivastava

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 2 Apr 2015 in Lupus
Question: I am trying to find a Rheumatologist that deals or treats OA of the knees, lower back and neck. I have 6 bulging disks in my neck along with stenosis and 3 - 4 bulging in the lower back. My knees are bone-on-bone and I am in quite a bit of pain.

Answered by Dr. Sunil Kumar Srivastava 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
treatment dependent on clinical symptoms/disability

Detailed Answer:
hello
Treatment for osteoarthritis ,in my opinion, depends more on clinical symptoms and severity of pain and measures are undertaken for correction/palliation by medicine/surgery/physical therapy as per specificity of affected area,especially surgical treatment. So,
my first suggestion would be to get physically evaluated,which you may have got done for being prescribed medicines mentioned by you and you have yet to be advised any surgery for the findings you mentioned on imaging of spine areas.
What is the position of knee on imaging?
how much functional disability with leg movement,?
Is there any radiation of pain along arms(for cervical) and lower limbs (lumbar disc)?
since you have not written anything on symptoms for pain radiation- i believe it is not radiating-
similarly for knee/
based on information provided to us-
clinical symptoms do not ask for immediate surgery in spine/knee
otherwise,if stenotic symptoms due to nerve compression/radiation present, then I would suggest you consult your surgeon for surgical options-which, may be fusion surgery in spine in areas as per symptoms=
for knee ,if severe limitations, joint replacement
-if surgery is not a necessity for now,then along with medications-
physical therapy of back, neck, wearing of brace for both areas,
knee support or brace for walking
fomentation/massage/IFT etc
if pain still severe then addition of hydrocodone/oxycodone or tramadol if your doctor agrees to
thanks
you are welcome for anymore queries on this forum which has many eminent spine and knee specialists and orthopedists/neurologist to guide and help,
regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj