Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
178 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for osteoarthritis

Answered by
Dr. Sunil Kumar Srivastava

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1980

Answered : 448 Questions

Posted on Thu, 2 Apr 2015 in Lupus
Question: I am trying to find a Rheumatologist that deals or treats OA of the knees, lower back and neck. I have 6 bulging disks in my neck along with stenosis and 3 - 4 bulging in the lower back. My knees are bone-on-bone and I am in quite a bit of pain.

Answered by Dr. Sunil Kumar Srivastava 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
treatment dependent on clinical symptoms/disability

Detailed Answer:
Treatment for osteoarthritis ,in my opinion, depends more on clinical symptoms and severity of pain and measures are undertaken for correction/palliation by medicine/surgery/physical therapy as per specificity of affected area,especially surgical treatment. So,
my first suggestion would be to get physically evaluated,which you may have got done for being prescribed medicines mentioned by you and you have yet to be advised any surgery for the findings you mentioned on imaging of spine areas.
What is the position of knee on imaging?
how much functional disability with leg movement,?
Is there any radiation of pain along arms(for cervical) and lower limbs (lumbar disc)?
since you have not written anything on symptoms for pain radiation- i believe it is not radiating-
similarly for knee/
based on information provided to us-
clinical symptoms do not ask for immediate surgery in spine/knee
otherwise,if stenotic symptoms due to nerve compression/radiation present, then I would suggest you consult your surgeon for surgical options-which, may be fusion surgery in spine in areas as per symptoms=
for knee ,if severe limitations, joint replacement
-if surgery is not a necessity for now,then along with medications-
physical therapy of back, neck, wearing of brace for both areas,
knee support or brace for walking
fomentation/massage/IFT etc
if pain still severe then addition of hydrocodone/oxycodone or tramadol if your doctor agrees to
you are welcome for anymore queries on this forum which has many eminent spine and knee specialists and orthopedists/neurologist to guide and help,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on  Tramadol

doctor1 MD

my name is william bell ph# 580 302 4418. i am 58 years old.since 2009 i have had a triplebypass an angiogram and a stent. the doctors were dr....

doctor1 MD

I have lower back pain and my Xray shows that i have a straightened lumbar lordosis due to spasm. Pls what can i do since i cannot take any NSAID...

doctor1 MD

If I take a dose of Tramadol 50 mg. is there a chance I will have increased heart palpatations?I suffer a rapid heart rate and have been prescribed...

doctor1 MD

sir my wife having pain in her left leg. she was x-rays in surya ortho in Faridabad . The Doctor said that there is less gap in hip due to that the...

doctor1 MD

My wife, age 83, has developed a situation where her dominant hand (left) the index and ring fingers have curled into the palm and those knuckles...

doctor1 MD

I take blood thinner what anti inflammatory can I take

doctor1 MD

I have had shingles twice and had treatment and the shingles vaccine . My shingles were on the left side of my body, under the breast and around my...