Suggest treatment for osteoarthritis

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have been suffering with osteo arthritis for many years. Over the past two to three years, my pain has increased in my lower back, neck, and I have frequent, severe headaches. I recently was tested for RA and my rheumatoid factor was 46. What does this indicate?
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
RA factor alone is not diagnostic of R.Arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. my advice would be find out the cause of multiple joint arthritis (poly arthritis) you may get following blood test done- ANA test,Anti CCP antibody test and serum uric acid. As RA factor alone is not diagnostic of Rheumatoid arthritis.
Do you have a family history of multiple joint pains?
What about small joint's of hand, foot and wrist?
For osteoarthritis, weight reduction is the main treatment. Life style modifications like avoiding sitting cross legged; squatting will decrease the rate of progression of osteoarthritis. Exercises like quadriceps strengthening, swimming; straight leg rising will help in improving the muscle strength around the knee and will help in decreasing pain.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 31 hours later
I understand that RF numbers are not necessarily indicative of RA, and my anti ccp was negative. I have not had either of the other tests, however. My primary pain is located in my lower back, often, but not always, radiating down across one or both hips, quads, and sometimes "pulsing" my left knee. Sometimes my hands will swell, mostly my right and half of my left, but not my joints specifically. I have chronic neck pain and migraines which two days ago landed me in the ER (mind you, I am not a crybaby and only went after the toradol injection I received didn't work, and I was on day 4 with no relief.) I'm wondering what other possibilities besides RA could be causing these symptoms. This has been going on for years but has gotten worse over the last several months. Thank you in advance for any insight or suggestions. I am currently trying to lose weight, however I have had back issues for years, even when I was at a healthy weight.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Spondyloarthropathy may be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It’s good to see you
After going through the whole discussion there are polyarthritis in which spine is the centre of pathology with minimal involvement of peripheral joints’ like hands and feet. These are known as spondyloarthropathy.These need blood work like ANA factor, Anti ds DNA, HLAB27and rheumatologist evaluation to confirm.

Hope this answers your query and I shall be glad to answer any further query.