question-icon

Suggest treatment for osteoarthritis of the knee

Posted on Wed, 20 Dec 2017
Question: Dear Doctor,
I am male aged 45 yrs vegetarian. I am doing a Central Government job. My life is sedentary one.
MY PROBLEM IS SINCE ONE YEAR OSTEOARTHRITIS DEVELOPED IN THE KNEES. DOCTOR HAS SUGGESTED FOR X-RAY AND MRI. IN THIS IT IS FOUND OUT THAT CARTILAGE DAMAGED ON BOTH KNEES.
DOCTOR I HAVE GONE THROUGH ALL SITES AND MANY PEOPLE THAT CARTILAGE CANNOT BE REPAIRED THE ONLY SOLUTION IS SURGERY BUT DOCTORS SUGGESTING ONLY SURGERY WILL BE DON E AFTER 60 YEARS.
NOW KNEE PAIN IS UNBEARABLE. I AM 172 CM AND HAVING 78 KGS GOOD LOOKING PERSONALITY.
DOCTOR I HAVE LOT OF PAIN IN BOTH KNEE PANS. I CANT WALK LONG DISTANCES AND LOT OF PROBLEMS ARE THERE. I KNOW I AM TAKING LOT OF CARE ABOUT LEGS. I AM DOING PHYSIOTHERAPY ALSO. BUT THERE IS NO IMPROVEMENT.
DOCTOR KINDLY SUGGEST THE EXACT MEDICINES SO THAT I CAN ATLEAST MANAGE MY PROBLEM.
KINDLY SUGGEST MEDICINES FOR
1) PAIN KILLER FOR BOTH KNEES
2) DEVELOPMENT OF CARTILAGE
3) DEVELOPMENT OF FLUID
4) DEVELOPMENT OF BONES ETC.
KINDLY RECTIFY MY PROBLEM DOCTOR.
PRESENTLY I AM APPLYING OILS, DOING PHYSIOTHERAPHY, HOT AND COLD PACKS, PAIN KILLER [FLEXURA D], CARTFIT ETC. KINDLY SUGGEST EXACT MEDICINES SO THAT I CAN OVERCOME THIS PROBLEM. ALSO PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST INJECTIONS.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Please see below

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I am Dr Gopal Goel ,Orthopedic Surgeon.
I have gone through your details. In my opinion you are suffering from Osteoarthritis of the knee and as per MRI there is cartilage loss as well.
In any case of Osteoarthritis Cartilage loss is the first sign of joint damage- so there is nothing surprising about MRI finding.
I would suggest the following in only general terms since prescriptions are not given in this forum.
1. Quadriceps exercises- to be taught by a physiotherapist).
2. Pain killers SOS only and not on regular basis.
3. Cartilage protective and rebuilding drugs like Collagen powder or pre collagen capsules.
4. Intra-articular injections of PRP which are useful at this stage( these are different injections then you may have presumed as steroids)
These would be my general guidelines unless I have examined you and seen your reports personally.
Thanx for the question .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon