Suggest treatment for osteo arthiritis of knees
Is there any remedies to slow down the growth of knee arthiritis?
Also, is it ok to walk more in severe knee arthiritis or rest more?
New York, USA
Regular exercise will help.
Thanks for posting your query.
For osteoarthritis, weight reduction is the main treatment along with medicines to decrease pain like NSAID's - paracetamol, aceclofenac etc., Life style modifications like avoiding sitting cross legged, squatting, using XXXXXXX type toilets will decrease the rate of progression of osteoarthritis. Exercises like quadriceps strengthening, swimming, straight leg raising will help in improving the muscle strength around the knee and will help in decreasing pain.
Hyaluronic acid injections given into the joint (especially large joints like knee joint) in prescribed dosages will give good short term pain relief in arthritic joints ranging from 1-2 years. She can take them after consulting an orthopaedic surgeon.
Regular walking is a must to retain the joint mobility and to decrease the joint stiffness.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for knee pain relief
- Suggest medication and treatment for painful knee
- Suggest treatment for ocd treatment
- Suggest treatment for knee bone injury
- Suggest treatment for discoloration behind the knees
- Suggest treatment for knee pain
- Suggest treatment for osteoarthritis of the knee
- Suggest treatment for knee injury
- Suggest treatment for sore knees
- Suggest treatment for inflammatory arthiritis