Suggest treatment for orthostatic hypotension, constipation and erectile dysfunction

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my symptomds are :sudomotor dysfunction, orthostatic hypotension, constipation, ED, bladder emptying/fullness. gastropsresis (?) thanks.XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms are related to autonomic nervous system dysfunction. Diabetes can cause this disorder ad it is known to cause damage of the nerves.

Unfortunately the treatment is only symptomatic.

A better management of diabetes would help reduce the progression of this disorder.

I would recommend taking plenty of fluids to remain wellhydrated. Increasing salt intake can help against orthostatic hypotension.

If orthostatic hypotension is severe you can try fludrocortisone as it can be helpful in this disorder.

For gastroparesis you can try domperidone which is a pro kinetic drug.

Unfortunately there is little you can do for urinary retention. But I would recommend performing an ultrasound to exclude possible prostate hypertrophy which can aggravate the situation.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri