Suggest treatment for oral yeast infection

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: chronic oral yeast infections, taken many rounds of nystatin but always get severe abdominal cramps, one ten day round of fluconazole was effective but the symptoms came back as soon as the medication was done.
Answered by Dr. Soumya 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need investigation for resistant fungal infection

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

The oral yeast infection is caused by fungus commonly candida. Though these are normally present in all humans the balance is maintained by body's immune system. The overgrowth is called "oral thrush" what you have.

The oral thrush is caused by lowered immune system. certain illnesses, stress, or medications can disturb the delicate balance, causing the fungus candida to grow out of control, causing thrush.

Oral rinse technique is an investigation to find which type of fungus is affecting as it has been resistant to different medicines. You can take medicines as per report of rinse test.

Alternatively request the doctor to perform a biopsy if needed to diagnose type of fungus and the treatment needed accordingly as it is a resistant infection.

There is no point taking the medicine without diagnosis this time.

I also suggest you get fasting blood sugar tested to rule out diabetes as diabetes increases thrush

Let me know if you have doubts.

Dr. Soumya
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari