Suggest treatment for oral thrush during pregnancy

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Im 40 weeks pregnant and have thrush, iv just used a canesten pessary to clear it but now im worried incase i go in to labour what effect will it have
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thrush needs to be treated before labor.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
If canestan pessary has cleared the thrush then there is no need to worry as it will not affect the baby. In case the infection is still present then it can cause candidiasis in the baby. To avoid this it is best to consult your gynecologist and take proper treatment for it before the labor starts.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thank you, but what would happen if the baby arrived while pessary is still there?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It will be expelled.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The pessary will be expelled on its own before the baby comes out. As such it is not going to cause any harm.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.