• question-icon

Suggest treatment for oral thrush and canker sores

Posted on Tue, 27 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello,
I have white build up on the back of my tongue, as well as around my mouth. Brushing it seems to make it go away but only temporarily. My oral health isn't the best but I'm working on improving it, and have been making a great effort to combat this issue. Small soar in my gums, and above one of my teeth, possible an ulcer, gingivitis? I have also recently started to feel acid reflux type symptoms, and I believe that I am constipated. Both my parents have GERD, and I'm wondering if all of these symptoms are related. Went to a local clinic where i was diagnosed with Viral Pharyngitis,the doctor said it wasn't thrush, but to be fair he only looked at me for about 5 minutes total. The other symptoms to me are more alarming, my sore throat pain isn't worrying me as much as the build up on my tongue. Can you get thrush without a serious medical issue? At times I can cough up very small amounts of blood, and in my nose as well. Ive been using the cough drops they gave me and taking Aleve. Im absolutely stressing about all of this, I am a 20 year old male college student. At fear of HIV I conducted an OraQuick at 8 weeks mouth swab which resulted in a negative test. My mother has Lupus, but I show no signs of the typical lupus diagnosis. I really appreciate all of the time and effort you put into this response. I really do.

The Oraquick test was done a couple of days after noticing the build up on my touge, 6 days ago to be exact, and before i went to see a doctor.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Appearing like Thrush, needs further evaluation..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

As per your query and images attached the white coating on back of your tongue is appearing like Oral Thrush only and along with it small elevated dots that are inflamed tongue papillae..

Secondly the Ulcer seems to be a Canker Sores..
It's not necessarily due to any serious underlying condition like HIV, so please don't worry..

I would suggest you to consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated..
For confirmation he can advise you microscopic examination of scraping from the white coating and in case of Thrush you can be advised antifungal medicines like Nystatin mouthwash, Clotrimazole lozenges and Oral Medication like Fluconazole..

In case if you suspect symptoms of GERD then consult a Gastroenterologist and an upper G.I Endoscopy can be very helpful in diagnosis..

You can be advised antacids, Proton pump inhibitor like Pantoprazole or Omeprazole along with avoiding spicy and large meals along with moderate workout..

Any further questions are welcome..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist