Suggest treatment for oral submucosal fibrosis

Posted on Mon, 13 Apr 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello Sir, i was eating supari but not regular some times .
When i visited my doctor and he said i have osmf, so i consulted and ent specialist.
As a result i have quit supari and maintaing a good hygiene,my mouth opening is quite good.
Ent has prescribed me to take antoxidants and mouth opening exercise, he said i have it in initial stage.
Also i have visited other doctor as well, they say that i don't have to worry about it, just have healthy diet and eat lots of fruits and veg.
My concern is there is a light red patch in my mouth on a left cheek, i have asked my ent the same, they said its an irritation and it will take time to be regular.
From the last 1 year i have quit everything and following a healthy diet, my mouth opening has increased a bit, my ent said my condition is getting good.
Does i need to worry about this? is osmf curable? how much time it will take to be normal (Mouth skin)?
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs to quit (supari) for life time.

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns that you are having oral submucosal fibrosis.

Quitting supari, taking antioxident helps in reversing the fibrosis tissue into normal mucosa.

Duration of reversibility, depends on the associated factors (smoking, alcohol and nutritional deficiencies and spicy diet) and area of involvement (larger area area requires more duration).

It may take several months to years, may be 2-5 years.

Evolved oral sub mucosal fibrosis may progress permanent trismus (inability to open the mouth) or oral cancer.

Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 58 minutes later
Hello Sir,

I have strickly quit everything that is too hard for my mouth skin, chilies, hot food, supari/any mouth freshner, i am aware of it.

I have visited a 5-6 doctors, all said i have nothing to worry about and my condition is getting better, just have a good diet and mouth exercise.

I am visiting my ent every month for checkup, is it necessary?
Currently my doctor has suggested me kenakort cream to aply on mouth skin and anti-oxidants on alternate days, please give advice on this.

what is the ratio of osmf to malignant changes means how many osmf patients can advance in oral cancer?

I am quite depressed, please give me advice.
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's an early form, do not worry.

Detailed Answer:

Hello again,

Thanks for considering my answer and for your follow up.

Answers for your queries.

1. yes. once in two months as a followups necessary to see any mucosal changes.

2. Steroid cream (kenakart) steroid losozens can be used for 4 weeks. prolonged usagae is not advisable in view of fungal infection.

3. 20 percent of the patients may progress to cancer ( who do not quit tobacco products).

4. The treatment of patients with oral submucous fibrosis depends on the degree of clinical involvement. If the disease is detected at a very early stage, cessation of the habit is sufficient. Most patients with oral submucous fibrosis present with moderate-to-severe disease. Moderate-to-severe oral submucous fibrosis is irreversible.

Do not worry. As per your clinical details and regular follow ups, it appears to be early involvement and subsides by quitting the supari.

Hope, I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist