Suggest treatment for open wound on leg

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr XXXXXXX
Last week,my nephew got hurt on his leg by a wooden bed rim, while he was jumping.
I didnt see any blood leaking out immediately after the wound occured. I cleaned it and applied neosporin ointment which is a pain killer as well as an antibiotic.
slowly his wound and pain were getting better. But this week when his parents took him to the doctor , the doctor said that he had a deep cut. So is the scarr going to be permanently appearing on his leg? Are there going to be any problems in future?

Hello Dr XXXXXXX
Awaiting your answer.By the way, please let me know, any doctors specialised in the leg injury in XXXXXXX as my nephew and his parents are planning to visit XXXXXXX shortly.

Thanks,
XXXX.
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regular dressings will minimize scarring.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Madam,

I understand your concern.

The wound will heal by 6-8 weeks.Nothing to worry.

Oral antibiotics and analgesics for 7-10 days with regular dressing with betadine solution will be helpful.

Note: These medications should be taken under the strict medical prescription of your doctor.

Regular dressings and subcuticular stitches (depending on the depth of the cut) will minimize the scar.

You can visit Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Consultant cosmetic surgeon,
Osmania medical college,
Koti, XXXXXXX

Post your further queries if any,

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar