Suggest treatment for open sore on the toe

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: About 15 days ago I stubbed my right big toe when I was wearing flip flops and walking on slippery pavement in the rain. i cleaned it well and kept it bandaged. I noticed that the top of my toe healed nicely, but that there was an open sore piece of skin that appeared on the top of my toe nail. I still keep it bandaged, but when it starts to scab over, i tend to accidentally kick something and open it again. It hurts quite a bit. I thought of trying to freeze it off, but it isn't a wart, so I didn't do that. it is also not a blister. please advise on how I can get this removed. I am concerned about when my toe nail starts to grow beneath it. It isn't infected and is not drying up.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
as explained in details.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and the clear focused picture.
Noted your history well and understood your concerns well.
This is a granuloma formation, a sort of over-action of the body's healing mechanism.
I would advise you in such a situation the following:
- Please remove the nails polish so that the health of the nail-bed can seen and understood. Re-post the photo with cleaned nail.
- Removal of this extra-mass should be done and can be achieved by the following - surgical excision, cauterization, freezing as you have mentioned, chemical cauterization... and so on.
- Edema around the lateral parts of nail indicate chronic and mild infection, an antibiotic cover of 5 days would help along with any anti-inflammatory medicine that suits you.
- Clean the area with spirit/solution povidone iodine - times a day to keep it sterile. You can pour povidone iodine on the bandage if you prefer to continue with bandaging.

I hope this answer helps you to get cured of the present problem and have healthy normal looking nail in future. Remember that the toe nails take about a year for complete growth- quite a slow rate of growth.