Suggest treatment for oily skin

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: dry up oily pores and shrink pore size
oral med's
isotreckwan??? & spirolacto????
saw on the dr's show and can't spell what they were talking about
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Isotretinoin, Spironolactone

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

The medications they may have mentioned could have been Isotretinoin (Accutane) and Spironolactone.

Both of these medications have systemic risks because they are pills, so they can have effects on other parts of your body other than just the skin. For example, Spironolactone is an androgen (male hormone) blocker. They require a prescription - not sold over the counter.

If you have problems with oily skin, best to be seen by a dermatologist. In older adults, oily skin can sometimes be from sebaceous dermatitis rather than from the kind of acne teens get.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.