Suggest treatment for occipital neuralgia

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: hi, I have what I believe as one side of my occipital bone that seems to stick out and it is worrying me. I'm not sure if this is normal since it is not like the other side of my head. Also, I seem to have symptoms that sound like occipital neuralgia as well. However, the bone being prominent on that side is what's concerning me.
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely of clinical significance

Detailed Answer:
Good evening and thank you for your question. I'm sorry you're feeling concerned about what is more likely than not an observation of little clinical consequence. I'm not exactly certain what you mean by prominence other than what cranial "bump". So long as you've not recently fallen and struck yourself in that area then, this prominence is clearly not of a traumatic nor likely part of an inflammatory process since this would've been noticed long ago.

If nobody but yourself has noticed this finding then, it is not an asymmetric process. In other words, by age 37...someone would've said something to you by this point if one portion of your occiptal area were growing at a noticeable or significant rate. I believe you are simply noticing something in the face of what may be an occipitally based headache or neuralgic process. It certainly doesn't sound as if there are other symptoms or problems caused by this noticed protrusion therefore, again, you are likely noticing some small irregularities that everyone has on their skulls which by the way are actually quite unique. No 2 skulls are identical due to the bumps, protrusions, valleys, and suture lines (where different bones fuse).

If you are having symptoms that you believe represent a headache type of some sort then, the best person to see would be a headache specialist or a neurologist.

if I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 15 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.