Suggest treatment for occipital neuralgia

Question
I was diagnosed with occipital neuralgia years ago. Whenever my trapezius muscles get tight, I get shooting pains up to the right temple. I have taken Excedrin and Advil. Nothing helps. I already had MRI and CT scans for this that were negative. Please advise.
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need a change of prescription.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Occipital neuralgia is best treated with occipital nerve block. firstly, avoid triggers like frequent hair combing. Then, try warm moist heat application in the area of pain for a week and see the response. if there is no response, you may try drugs that reduce neuronal impulses like carbamazepine and sometimes gabapentin or pregabalin, which requires a prescription. If you are not relieved with them too, your neurologist might resort to occipital nerve block.
In any case, you may need patience till you are relieved as neuralgias are difficult to treat.
Hope this helped.
All the best.