Suggest treatment for occasional attacks of depression, anxiety and lack of interest in life

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Bipolar Disorder
Question: I am 54 years old and have occasional attacks of depressing, anxiety and lack of interest in my life. I also have sleep issues. My mind will not shut down at bed time.
I can feel when the attacks are coming on. They last around 3 days then I am ok.
When I was in my thirty and forties I used a lot of cocain.
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
seroquel can be a good alternative.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I understand your concerns.

You have occasional attacks of depression, anxiety and lack of interest in life.
you also have sleep issues.

When a person stops using cocaine after a while, the receptors in brain aren't getting the same amount of dopamine it used to before, your system of reward is in haywire mode and you don't feel much satisfaction from doing anything and depression can set in.

You quit cocaine more then 10 years back. It has been a long time.
Your must have adopted by now to 'no cocaine'. But the effects of these drugs of abuse are unpredictable.
Since when are you having this depression and anxiety?

Your best bet for recovery would be:
exercise,
healthy diet ,
healthy activities which give you pleasure (this will naturally boost dopamine),
keep yourself busy and don't stay static. At the same time, do not become a workaholic.
Do things that challenge your body and mind.

Ambien and diazepam have not worked well for you.

Another good choice can be seroquel (prescription drug). This drug in low doses can acts as anti-anxiety, antidepressant and a sedative drug.
This single drug should help to resolve all your symptoms.

Kindly discuss this with your doctor.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist