Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest treatment for obstructive voiding due to enlarged prostate

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9585 Questions
I have a enlarged prostate I am on Flomax. 2 pills per day. a doctor says my bladder is not emptying out all the way each time. Flomax helps a little but urine stream still not very good. The doctor mentioned that I might need a scope, and depending on the findings. maybe minor surgery. If this scope is through the end of the penis, this seems like very painfull procedure. What kind of surgery is the doctor talking about thanks
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is called asTURP and not painful at all. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have obstructive voiding symptoms due to enlarged prostate and have been taking Flomax but do not have satisfactory results. I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem. 1) have you done your Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen and what is the size of Prostate.? 2) What is the volume of post void reside of urine ? 3) Have you done Uroflowmetry and what is your maximum urine flow per second.? Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get above investigations done to decide regarding need for endoscopic surgery what is called as Trans Urethral Resection of prostate(TURP) . This is an endoscopic surgery where enlarged prostate is resected by electric current by a instrument termed as Resectoscope which is passed through penis (Urethra.) under spinal anaesthesia.There s nothing to be worried about as the procedure is painless and one has to stay in hospital just for 2-3 days. This is gold standard method of resecting the enlarged prostate and practised world wide and gives encouraging results and helps to improve quality of life. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor