• question-icon

Suggest treatment for numbness of the fingers

Posted on Sat, 22 Oct 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: No colour and fingers completely numb and white and worse when it is cold.what is this condition and how can I help cure it? I work in a warehouse and lift and carry all day long so physically very fit but set I me hands will not grip!!
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably Raynaud's phenomenon!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this problem that you have reported. Raynaud's disease causes some areas of your body (Ex: fingers and toes) to feel numb and cold in response to cold temperatures or stress. In Raynaud's disease, smaller arteries that supply blood to your skin are more susceptible to get narrow, limiting blood circulation to affected areas. Women are more likely than men to have Raynaud's disease and more common among persons who work in cold climates.

Treatment of Raynaud's disease depends on its severity and whether you have other health conditions. For most people, Raynaud's disease isn't disabling, but can affect quality of life.

There are drugs such as calcium channel blockers, alpha blockers and vasodilators that can help. Also, avoiding triggering conditions such as cold temperatures is advised. Given the nature of your work, this might be difficult. Discuss this with your manager. For the drugs, it will be necessary to talk to your doctor for confirmation and scripts.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah