Suggest treatment for numbness in tongue and face with migraine

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi Dr. I've been experiencing a numb tongue and face on the left side of my face only. I had a bad migraine for a week about 1 month ago and once it was gone i started having the numbness is it serious?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Brain imaging may be required

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

If not associated with the same numbness in the limbs or other symptoms oftentimes isolated facial numbness proves to be nothing major perhaps related to stress and anxiety, so I don’t want you to panic.

However such a long persistence calls for attention I believe, evaluation for a possible case of multiple sclerosis or a minor stroke. Other causes might be facial (Bell palsy) but you should have noted some facial asymmetry or trigeminal neuralgia but in this case pain is the predominant symptom so I would consider them not that likely. The pain argument applies also to non-neurological causes such as dental issues where there is usually pain as well.

So for that reason I think it is time you schedule an appointment with your doctor to have a proper neurological physical exam which might reveal some other sign which you might not have noticed and to schedule brain imaging, ideally with MRI.

I remain at your disposal for further questions.

Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 10 minutes later
Its not a dental problem as i have checked this and no dental nerve damage is present. I also have no pain with the numbness! Its just numbess like coming off anstesia. I will schedule and MRI thank you. Im taking vitamin b complex pills prescribed by a doctor for the time being. Been on them for two days nothing changed numbness still present.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the additional information. That reinforces my opinion. As for vitamins us doctors, me included, often use them as vitamin B complex are thought to help nerve regeneration, but their true benefit is not proven. Anyway it would take more than two days to come into effect.

Even if your abnormal sensation slowly regresses thoguh I still think an MRI is advised as both those conditions I mentioned (MS and stroke) can improve spontaneously after a first episode but that doesn't exclude the diagnosis.

Hopefully things will work out for the best.