question-icon

Suggest treatment for numbness in the tongue

Posted on Fri, 29 Jul 2016
Question: Will it return as I get older
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi (36 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Possible symptoms of Bell's palsy MIXED with left eyelid DEHISCENCE

Detailed Answer:
Good evening young lady.

This may qualify as the question of the LEAST NUMBER OF WORDS on any telemedicine website I have ever answered! LOL....You are clearly NOT an attorney!

In actuality, the symptoms of "numbing of the left side of the tongue and inner lip" COULD BE part of a Bell's paralysis though if the inner lip is also numb then, this is not typical....but I can CLINICALLY OVERLOOK that for a second until I get more information from you. The droopiness of the left eye is CLEARLY NOT part of the picture of Bell's so that doesn't fit....but what could be happening as a result of the aging process if your left eyelid is droopier is a phenomenon known as EYELID DEHISCENCE which sometimes is mistaken as a symptom of stroke or even Bell's. What people forget is that in Bell's palsy the eyelid on the same side of the tongue symptoms actually should become WIDER or MORE DIFFICULT to close....it shouldn't droop.....that is either the sign of a stroke, something else called a Horner's sign (not even the syndrome yet....since it's just the eyelid drooping), or MOST COMMONLY in someone of your age.....EYELID DEHISCENCE which is when the skin of the upper eyelid simply comes apart a bit from the muscle or cartilage plate and kind of "sags" a little. It's actually correctable with a little surgery....very easy and very identifiable if one knows what they're looking for.....an ophthalmologist will recognize it "in the blink of an eye!"

But, if you did have a Bell's palsy on the left side back in 2008....and that was what was diagnosed by someone then.....and you had the numb/tingling tongue on one half...just think whether or not the left side of the cheek and forehead along with WIDENING of the left eye were present or not for a second.

Now, if NONE of that were true in terms of what happened in 2008/2009....then, I've got one more thing that I'd like to throw out there for your consideration....and that would be LOW levels in your bloodstream of either:

1. Vitamin B12
2. Folate
3. Vitamin D
4. Thyroid hormones (tested best by obtaining BOTH a FREE T4 & TSH)

So, if you had your blood tested for those guys above you may get some results that can be used to fix this problem as well. Be sure that your doctor doesn't just brush your numbers aside as NORMAL in the department of B12 unless it is MINIMUM 400...and preferably a bit higher than that....and with Vitamin D....I'd like to see a minimum of 60 in my patients....if not something a bit closer to 80....but NOT OVER 100.

If I've satisfactorily addressed your question then, could you do me the kindest of favors by CLOSING THIS QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback and a 5 STAR rating to our transaction if you feel the response has helped you? Again, many thanks for posing your question.

Do not forget to recontact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 19 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.
Follow up: Dr. Dariush Saghafi (24 minutes later)
How much vitamin B12, folate, vitamin D should I start out taking..Had my Thyroid checked and it is fine.
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Please RE-read my thoughts

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for checking back with me.

Allow me to clarify. Your question (which was a mere 7 words in length) resulted in that HUGE answer that contained only SUGGESTIONS as to what might be the case for some symptoms you mentioned. Those suggestions (especially on networks such as these) should never be taken as DOGMA or MEDICAL ORDERS without getting tests done to prove conjectures or thoughts and more importantly without checking and discussing things with your physician. Therefore, with that clarification in mind--

My suggestions for a metabolic workup should be discussed with your primary doctor and IF they see the utility in performing any of these tests for Vitamin B12, D, folate, etc. then, they shall order the tests and make the appropriate recommendations as far as dosing, followup labs etc. It would not be to your advantage to simply start taking medications (even OVER THE COUNTER) without knowing where you were metabolically and certainly not without your physician's consent.

Vitamin D for example, even though OTC, accumulates in the body when taken continuously. Toxicity can occur on this basis depending upon how much the person takes and for how long. I've cases where people were admitted to hospitals because of ingestion of OTC vitamins. I had a lady not too long ago in my own practice who just decided that Vitamin D would be good to take and she came to my office after 4 months trembling like a leaf thinking she had Parkinson's or something. It took us nearly 4 months to completely straighten her out and finally get her on a good dose for her condition, age, stature, etc.

Therefore, the answer to how much of any of the vitamins I HYPOTHESIZED may be looked at for your condition should be taken is:

Depends on what your current levels are, other medical conditions you have concurrently, and according to your physicians' standards and recommendations.

BTW, I'd be very interested in knowing any labs or test results that end up being done to diagnose what's going on so please keep me in the loop.

Cheers!

This query has utilized a total of 32 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist