Suggest treatment for numbness in the right side of the face

Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 4 Sep 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Last week or so I've noticed a a slight numb feeling on right side of my face. Two months ago I had two upper molars filled for deep cavities on either side. Since then I have had some minor dull pain under cheek bones. I considered it part of the healing process of the deep cavities. It is prob a 1-2 on pain scale out of 10.

So anyway this last week I noticed my right lower lip seems a bit puffy. When I smile its not assymetrical but not terrible. Speech and whistling is not impaired. I can close my eyes fine. Feeling is still consistent and no actual numb spots.

What I get is a kind of sensation like I have had one shot of the numbing stuff a dentist gets you. I have full movement (from as far as I can tell with the lip slightly assymetrical). However I can't shake this feeling that my right side is a bit numb.

Could this be a TIA or precursor to stroke? No pain, tingling, or lack of motion in any other area of my body.

I have been struggling with stress and anxiety lately as I undergo cardiac testing. Thankfully nothing concerning has been discovered thus far. I also tend to lean on my face a lot with my right hand. Perhaps I am causing it or slept wrong?
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Numbness of face causes

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for asking from HealthcareMagic.

I can understand your concern. You mentioned that your right face is getting numb. There is no facial palsy.

Facial sensations are carried by "trigeminal nerve". Numbness is a negative type of sensory symptom, means opposite to pain. The point is trigeminal nerve (TN) or brain involvement can cause numbness over the face. There are few diseases which can cause involvement of TN and/or brain

1) Trigeminal nerve damage - It could be traumatic. If there is past history of significant head trauma, we can think about it.

2) Trigeminal mass lesion - Trigeminal schwannoma can cause direct nerve damage. It can be confirmed by clinical examination and MRI brain

3) Posterior or middle cranial fossa skull based mass lesion like meningioma. Confirmation is by MRI brain

4) An ischemic stroke involving left side of parietal lobe or thalamus - You are very young to happen this. But still, if symptoms are there, we can confirm it by getting MRI brain with DWI.

5) Systemic deficiency of B12 can cause numbness over face

6) Psychological illness like anxiety/depression may be considered only if every investigation is normal. They can present like any disease.

You are doubting about TIA or stroke. It is less likely in your case as you are quite young for it. Still, to rule out any doubt, you should consider consulting a Neurosurgeon or Neurologist. S/he will examine you to confirm findings. Then MRI brain might be done to rule out any organic cause. If everything turns out to be normal, anxiety may be considered as the diagnosis.

Hope it will help you. If still in doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee