Suggest treatment for numbness in the lips and sporadic cough

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr. Rynne,
It's been a year since I've had the feeling of, "just about to get dizzy" feeling. Every once in a great while I will get shooting pains through my left eye. They do not last long at all, just seconds and maybe about 4 shooting pains, then they will be gone normally for a while. My ears feel full at times and I've had a chronic sporadic cough. I have had some numbness to my lips and predominantly to the left side of my face, but that hasn't happened for a while. I had an MRI this last year with negative results. Of recent, this feeling of dizziness is more noticeable. The numbness is now coming back (stress?) and the feeling of fullness in my head, especially my ears is also more noticeable. I become extremely tired and by the end of the day am exhausted of late. The flu has gone through my household, but i've taken the flu shot this season and have not gotten it, but at times feel as if I am coming down with something.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Migraine

Detailed Answer:

I admire your positive outlook and congratulate you for the attitude.

Now I guess you have dizzy feeling as well as shooting pain in eyes

There are lots of pathological causes responsible for your problem which you have described.

However, let me give my opinion here.

"As" per your clinical history is concerned my opinion will be like this please discuss with your treating doctor regarding it.

1)Check whether you are anemic or not and if present correct it

2)Check and correct deficiency of vitamin b-12 deficit by injectable medications

3)Do a good sleep pattern and try to remove stress

4)Make daily history and check at what time and in which situations you are getting such type of symptoms

5)You can Use Tricyclic antidepressants (nortriptyline, protriptyline) for which you need a doctors prescription only and this will reduce all symptoms in near future.

6)Other medications like rip tans and ergot alkaloids will be added after your initial response only

7)Check your fasting blood sugar and TSH level and balance sudden fall of estrogen level which is an important point for which you need to visit your gynecologist.

8)Make an exercise plan every day for 30-60 minutes each day.

For this you need expert's guidance by a neurologist

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T