Suggest treatment for numbness in the left leg

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello, I am suffering from numbness in my left leg especially when lying or sitting. Can this possibly be a result of Lyme Disease?? I was tested postive to Lyme disease about 2 yrs ago . Yet my numbness conditions is getting worse
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be a neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,

Thank you for posting the query.
I have gone through your complaints and the medical history .

Lyme's disease is a generalised disease and it is less likely to cause numbness only in a particular part of the body.

Numbness in leg,especially when lying or sitting may be due to a neuropathy or a pinched nerve that might be secondary to a lumbar slipped disc.

A prolapse of intervertebral disc causes compression of a particular spinal nerve between the bony lumbar vertebrae causing the numbness in the leg.

I suggest you to get a MRI of the lumbar spine to confirm the diagnosis.

Using a lumbar belt along with application of local analgesic gel with hot fomentation will help.

Take pregabalin,folic acid and methylcobalamin tablets along with calcium / vitamin D supplements.

Do let me know the MRI reports once they are ready.

I hope the answer was useful to you.

Thank you.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 20 hours later
I was sent for Pyhsical Therapy by a Doctor when he suspected Sciatica However, MY condition seemd to get worse.

Also I forgot to mention it is not always numbness that I fell sometimes is just pain in the ankle or Knee.

Prior to all this Lyme disease I was diagnosed with a Blood Clot in the groin (in Pregnancy) on the left side. My OB/GYN at that time mentioned that when given injections to open a clot can cause a POST DVT syndrome which explains the pain I currently have. However, When following up with a vascular doctor on this issue He claimed I really never had a Blood clot.

To which Doctor do you recommend I belong to right now to take care of the pain I have. Regardless of the reason
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Orthopedist / neurosurgeon

Detailed Answer:

Blood clot seems less likely.

I would suggest you to consult a orthopedist or a neurosurgeon for the present symptoms.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy