Suggest treatment for numbness in legs and feet

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: My feet n part of my legs have been numb for over a week now. I went to the doctors and told me many of things it could be, diabetes, MS, vitiamin b deficiency, etc they wont no anything until the blood work comes back. HELP! Im freaking out!
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it might be the causes doctors told you

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome to HCM.
This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
Numbness in the legs and feet might have many reasons. The most common being diabetes mellitus. Also it can be due to other causes like multiple sclerosis, leprosy, vit b12 deficiency, guillen-barre syndrome and many more. Chronic alcoholism can be a potential cause. Also, compression of peripheral nerve due to trauma to lower back, lower back pain or trauma to lateral part of leg below the knee joint can be causes. So all these has to be ruled out to come to a diagnosis.
Your doctors have rightly asked for various blood tests. Also they must have performed neurological examination which is not possible for me. So dont worry, wait for the reports so that a proper diagnosis can be made and treatment can be started.

Hope this was useful.
Consult me for further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta