Suggest treatment for numbness in left hand

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I get numbness in my left hand and then it travels to the left side of my lips.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be due to peripheral neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Sensation is related to the nerves in different parts of the body.

The nerves supplying the arm emerge from the neck and travel through the axilla and then down the arm and forearm.
The nerve supply to the face is from the cranial (head) nerves.

Numbness is one of the symptoms that can occur if there is abnormal structure or function of one of the nerves , this is called peripheral neuropathy.

The abnormal sensation that you are having can be due to different possible causes such as: (1) vitamin b12 or folate deficiency
(2)diabetes
(3)liver disease
(4)kidney disease
(5)exposure to toxins
(6)MS ,stroke
(7)idiopathic-cause not found
(8)in some cases of autoimmune diseases (lupus, rheumatoid)
(9)infection such as shingles
(10) trauma to the nerves eg arthritis can cause compression of nearby nerves as the bone presses down.

As mentioned, it may be simply due to decrease B12 or folate in some persons. In some the exact cause is not found.

If it is very bothersome, you would need to consider visiting your doctor for an assessment.

This would involve examination of the face, neck and arms.

Blood tests for B12, folate and other levels (Eg diabetes screening and checking for infection) may also be needed

Treatment would depend on the cause found

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 30 minutes later
Should I take just Vit. D or a multi vit.? I do take meds for high blood pressure and have had migraines in my left eye.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can try vitamin b replacement

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Yes, you can try a multivitamin with B 12 and folate to see if this helps you.

If your levels are low then it may take few weeks for improvement to occur, if this is the cause.

IF none is seen after 3 to 4 weeks or there is any worsening of symptoms then it would be best to see your doctor about this particular symptom.

Please feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James