question-icon

Suggest treatment for numbness and weakness of legs in an elderly person

Posted on Wed, 27 Jul 2016
Question: My mother has numbness and weakness in her hands legs and feet. Is their a treatment for this? She is 89 y.o.. Her doctor told her she has a mild case perpherial neurapathy.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho (31 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Improvement is possible with treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Peripheral neuropathy symptoms treatment consists on control of the condition that caused it ( for example diabetes, low vitamin B12, viral infection, nerves compression ) and use of drugs to improve symptoms ( Gabapentin, Pregrabalin, capsaicin cream locally, antidepressants ).

So, neurontin (gabapentin) is one of the drugs used to improve symptoms.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical