Suggest treatment for numbness and tingling on the foot

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: The top of my foot feels numb and tingling almost a creeping sensation. It is not swollen and does not hurt. It has now felt like this for 4 weeks.

I had been sitting back on my knees the evening before I noticed it for a rather long period of time and only noticed this the next morning, it may have been there previous but I had not noticed any strange feeling prior to that day. GP said that if it was the same in 4 weeks to go back but it should go on its own accord, she felt it may be a compressed nerve. Stupidly I went on to google!!!!! something I don't usually do and noticed that numb or tingling feet could be early MS symptoms, do not want to worry but would appreciate any other thoughts you may have. Have already been told that that is quite unlikely but not impossible given my age but a second opinion would be appreciated
Asked by Me , 19 hours ago
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Observation/Neurological examination /Nerve conduction studies

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

With your clinical situation,I would advise you to observe for a few days.If the symptoms,persist you should visit a neurologist and undergo a physical examination.
It may be a mononeuropathy or radiculopathy.Neurological examination will help towards the diagnosis.

First investigation to plan should be Nerve conduction studies to rule out a neuropathy(pinched nerve) or a nerve radicle involvement.

With just this symptom and no such history in past,Multiple sclerosis is a far off possibility.Pinched nerve or radicle issue will be the common things to rule out first.

Please follow-up with further queries.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist