Suggest treatment for nose bleeds

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Tue, 1 Sep 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Dear Doctor,
I have one kid of 6 yrs of age. From yesterday(10th Aug'15 one time in evening and today 2 times during school hrs), there is blood flowing from her right nostril. To recover instantly, we used ice cubes to put on her nose and lay her down and make elevation. Please suggest what could be the reason and treatment for this.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasad 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nose picking - the most common cause...

Detailed Answer:

Well in children the most common cause of nasal bleeding (epistaxis) is nose picking. Blood vessel gets traumatized while picking hardened mucus scabs leading to bleeding.
Other causes are related to trauma and nasal infection. Without history of injury and other symptoms, I did not label trauma and infection as the cause here.

I understand we as parents are overly worried in such circumstances. But if there was no further bleeding, you can put worries to rest. I will recommend you visit ENT surgeon and get this sorted if the problem recurs.

Hope this helps. I'll be glad to answer other questions if you have any.