Suggest treatment for non retraction of foreskin of penis

Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Men's Health
Question: my foreskin cannot easily go back on the shaft of the penis.. in other words my seal is not broken ..
I have asked many friends but everyone has got it seperated .. do I relly need to worry .. or will it get detached by my first intercourse..
I m 19
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Phimosis

Detailed Answer:

Your complaint is that your foreskin dose not retact above glans penis. It means that distal part of foreskin..i.e. prepuce is narrow. It is called phimosis.

Phimosis is defined as the inability to retract the skin (foreskin or prepuce) covering the head (glans) of the penis.

Phimosis may appear as a tight ring or “rubber band” of foreskin around the tip of the penis, preventing full retraction.

Phimosis is divided into two forms: primary or idiopathic and secondary or pathologic.

Primary may be since birth or childhood and may be without cause. And pathologic caused by repeated fungal and bacterial infection.

There is no medicine to retract the prepuce. Manual method may be tried. But, if not retracted, surgical intervention is must. The surgery is called circumcision. You consult surgeon for such surgery. It is is a minor sugery done under local anaesthesia, in which the prepuce is removed and the glans penis is opened.

Circumcision operation should be done to avoid future complications of phimosis...like difficulty in cleaning the glans penis,repeated infection,collection of smegma,difficulty in urination,urinary infection..urethritis,cystitis, difficulty in erection and intercourse... And smegma might cause malignancy in old age.

I hope this would be helpful to you... Please consult surgeon to have perfect treatment.

Thanks and have early recovery.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Ilyas Patel 6 hours later
You referred to some manual methods to break the seal .. can u please tell me those manual methods .. will giving massage daily help ?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Phimosis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back..

Manual method to be done by surgeon, not yourself..as it may hurt you. There may be rupture or injury to prepuce and bleeding would be there. And that might worsen the condition. Surgeon will try to retract the prepucial skin with taking antiseptic precaution. If he fails, then circumcision is neccessary.

I would like to advise you to consult surgeon for perfect treatment.

Thanks.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju