Suggest treatment for noise induced hearing loss

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a noise induced hearing deterioration question,my father spent 25 years in the canadian navy,when he was released his hearing was normal according to VA Canada, a few years later he began to have hearing loss, VA says hearing loss happens at the time of exposure , I want to argue that the exposure to prolonged noise on a navy ship will increase the deterioration of hearing over time and they should take responsablility .I would like a report supporting my theory I can pass on

Thank you XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload any PTA/s that have been done.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. There is a possibility of arguing about NIHL (Noise Induced Hearing Loss) by comparing the pre and post service PTA (Pure Tone Audiograms), especially if the 4000-8000 Hz range has not been tested.

2. It is expected that exposure to a very loud sound above 120-140 db can cause immediate NIHL, but exposure to more than 8 hours per day to sounds above 85dB may cause subclinical hearing damage to the hair cells.

3. At a younger age, a sub-clinical NIHL would make no noticeable difference to hearing speech, however with age related hearing loss (Prebyacusis) added on, this deterioration would be noticed along with tinnitus.

4. A study of his colleagues (in as similar service) may help in this correlation, however, scientific proof is scant as many factors (genetics, normal variations in healing, exposure to medications and ototoxic substances, environmental factors) influence hearing.

5. Upload any PTA/s that have been done for further discussion.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist