Suggest treatment for nodules in the lung

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: patient with one lung now has nodules in remaining lung. Is it alright to proceed with a needle biopsy when there is a danger of a collapsed lung?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be necessary

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
Certainly there is a risk in any procedure when you are getting a biopsy of lung tissue. However, this may be the only way to get a tissue sample that could guide treatment plans.
It is less risky to get a needle biopsy than to do an open lung biopsy.
You just need to talk carefully to your doctors about the possible benefits vs. the risk of the procedure.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Robinson

Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 6 hours later
Thank you for the reply. If my remaining lung should collapse during a needle biopsy will there be rescue measures in place to sustain my breathing?
Should my lung collapse the next day after the needle procedure what chance of recovery do I have since going to the ER would be time consuming or impossible without being able to breathe. I wonder about this outcome. Thank you. A. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 41 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes,, there are rescue measures

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for the follow up,
Yes, if you were to have a lung collapse during the procedure there are things that can be done. The usual treatment for a pneumothorax (collapsed lung) is to place a chest tube. This is a tube that goes into the chest cavity and is placed under pressure so that it pulls out the air and the lung can re-inflate.
If this were to happen at home you would need to call an ambulance for emergency care.
Dr. Robinson