Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for neurotic depression with acute panic attacks

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1357 Questions
I am about to turn 21 in March. My problem here is I'm not sure where I need to go in order to see if I have Thyroid problems. My mom has hers removed, and is on medication for it for the rest of her life. Although I am not certain if she had thyroid cancer.. But my boyfriend of two years OT keeps telling me I need to get it checked. He states I am okay one minuet and irriated the next. Along with that he says my weight fluxates. As of right now I currently weigh 115 . I feel like a lot of times when I am sleeping I do not get a good night of sleep, the best sleep for me is around 6 in the morning. And I never have enough energy to do the things I wanna do. I even currently have a gym membership I pay for monthly. I attend the gym 3 times a week or less. I also am on no medications. Have never had anything really major wrong with me other than a mouth surgery (bone graph transplant.) Me and my boyfriend both have noticed I never can stay focused or remember things very well. Previous boss has said the same thing. I also have a horse I used to love riding and I never find the excitement of riding. And at times I find myself sitting inside on a gorgeous day doing nothing, not engaging to hanging out with friends. Also no previous harms like abuseviness... I work fulll time and school full time. So I know I am not lazy. Any help with be great! Im desperate. . I am always cold...I do have dry skin... I am always applying lotion to my skin. I also loose hair alot. It always clogs up the drain in the shower, just from one shower and its like a personal stopper and starts holding water in the bottom. Its so groos. My pupils are always changing, but generally are really small.I also have experienced some low blood pressure signs before. I was actually volunteering at the hospital and i started to feel a little woozy, then i started to sweat, then I immediately sat down on my pt bed, then I started to see blurriness, and then a nurse grabbed me and gave me juice and some of her mNm's and I threw them up, and my legs and arms felt like ants. Im afraid of getting a regular doctors appointment bc I am afraid they want fully investigate and they will just go by the blood test.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Consult an Endocrinologist and Psychiatrist Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Having gone through your detailed query, I have a strong feeling that you have developed misplaced apprehensions from your mom's suspected thyroid cancer. It's but natural to dread of the possibility of it being a hereditary problem. But, let me assure you that- presuming it to be cancer- it is not hereditary. Further, all of your symptoms are suggestive of Neurotic Depression (anxiety + depression), with occasional acute panic attacks, particularly the episode while you were volunteering at the hospital. Constant mental stress with anxiety/depression per se, tends to reduce appetite and consequent vitamins' deficiency. This may account for lethargy, and hair fall. However, may I hasten to add that mood swings, disturbed sleep, dry skin, excessive hair fall are also features of hypothyroidism (underactive thyroids). But the uploaded pic does not reveal any indications of hypothyroidism. FIRSTLY, PLEASE RELAX AND COMPOSE YOURSELF. I would strongly recommend the following course of action :- 1. First, consult an Endocrinologist, who will get Thyroid hormones test done. In the event of the test report suggesting hypothyroid state, the doctor will put you on thyroid hormone replacement therapy, which will cure most of your problems. 2. Next, irrespective of the outcome of your thyroid report, consult a Psychiatrist and apprise him of my opinion; let him/her evaluate you for evidence of Neurotic depression. If he agrees with my opinion, he will prescribe suitable anti-depressants + mood elevating drugs, which will revert all psychological problems back to NORMAL. Lastly, being panicky will NOT solve your problems. Take it easy, and, follow the advised course of action. I assure you that everything will be all right over a period of time. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care, young lady and, KEEP SMILING. Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for neurotic depression with acute panic attacks 16 hours later
In order to see and Endocrinologists, what would be the best way for me to get in? Like I said I have never really been to the doctor? Should I just call around to some endocrinologists and see if they are taking new patients? Or should I go see a local doctor and ask him to refer me? And what about the same thing for the psychiatrist ? I do not have a primary doctor either. Just would like to get seen soon as I can. What way should I go about this.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Approach a Local doctor first Detailed Answer: OK XXXXXXX First, you visit a local doctor, apprise him of my opinion and request him to order Thyroid function test. Show the report to him. If it is abnormal, he- depending on his proficiency- will most likely, either prescribe the treatment himself; or, may like to refer you to the Endocrinologist. At the same time, ask him if he could prescribe treatment for anxiety depression (as advised by me). Put the ball in his court. He may prescribe the treatment; if not, request him to refer you to the psychiatrist. Take care & May God Bless You Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor