Suggest treatment for neuropathy in the feet of a diabetic

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Diabetes
Question: I been a diabetic for more then 30 years. I have neuropathy in my feet, stomach and bladder. To day I was getting sharp pain on the left of my head that sort of reminded me of the neuropathy pain I get in my feet. Could it be neuropathy? I could not find any info on the net about neuropathy in the head Is it possibile?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DIABETES complications;

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking on HCM!
Fortunately there is no head neuropathy as a complication of Diabetes manifested with acute sharp pain. Diabetes can affect the nerves in the brain, causing neuropathy but is not manifested with acute pain.
As you know, Diabetes can affect the blood vessels of the brain ( atherosclerosis) narrowing them and being a cause of stroke.
Usually, it is not manifested only with acute pain but you should control ( once a year) the blood vessels that supply the brain ( carotid arteries) with doppler ultrasound to prevent stroke.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D