Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

152 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for neurasthenia

Answered by
Dr. Abhishek Kapoor


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 2496 Questions

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Wow 58 year old male-generalized loss of sensation throughout body- no tingling or loss of feeling-Hypertensive-Sleep apnea-on meds for hypertension-Provigil for daytime sleepiness-Antidepressant-Klonopin-MRIS normal-cardiovasular normal-MRI show some small vessel ischemic changes-exercise daily symptoms have been present for 34 years no serious changes or improvements-chronic back problems post injury working out-sacral-lumbar thoracic-some disc changes nothing major-three terms of shots in back-degree of cloudiness at times cognitively-work 6 days per week 50 hrs-am a psychologist-onpoint at work etc-saw a plethora of doctors for about ten years-use a cpap machine but not as much as I should-am tired in am until provigil takes effect-any suggestions on supplements-because it looks like I have to treat myself on this one
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may have neurasthesia

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

In your case, all investigations like MRI scan is normal. What ever changes MRI has shown, is age related and is normal. There is nothing to worry about them. I think, you have one main symptoms, that is, tiredness. If you have continuous tiredness for last many years, it would go in favor of neurasthenia. It is a psychological disorder marked especially by easy fatigability and often by lack of motivation, feelings of inadequacy. In that case, you can try higher dose of stimulant like provigil (modafinil) or armodafinil along with antidepressant. Rest, you are a psychologist, so how could you motivate yourself, that you can decide. In supplement, any supplement like Swanson Premium triple Magnesium Complex etc could be tried.

If you need further help, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on  Neurasthenia

doctor1 MD

F almost 62 Psych disability Dysthymia/ Neurasthenia . Prefer to get acupuncture/herbal capsules but since January 2017 my stomach has been vomiting up gel caps. Lately I vomited at McD's and some XXXXXXX veggie samosas made me vomit at 2 a.m. 2...

doctor1 MD

Hello, I went from no masturbation (in 24 years) to over masturbation in the last 6 months ( XXXXXXX twice a day for four to five days in a week)....Now I have stopped totally and i did just twice in the last complete month..But those two were...

doctor1 MD

Sir i did masterbation for nine years and now i am not able for the woman and i am not ready for marriage plese help me in suggesting some medicines i am from pakistan Taunsa sharif and doing mcs in virtual university kindly tell me the mediines that recover the neurasthenia mental weakness and body weakness and loss of memory and these medicines recover this disease my email address is YYYY@YYYY PLEASE TELL ME THE NAMES OF SOME MEDICINES WHICH ARE AVAILABLE IN PAKISTAN MY MOBLILE NUMBER IS 036-0000

doctor1 MD

QUESTION: Hello sir, I am suffering from sexual problem I dont know whether it is spermatorrhoea or not and I have taken allopathy and homeopathy medicine but disease couldn t overcomes and I felt no advantage of it. I am writing this letter to you with very big hope please reply me and advice me suitable medicine. PROBLEMS 1. white fluid comes out of the penis without erection by just thinking about sex or just by little fraction with girl like sitting closely with a girl and talking to her. 2.I have a desire for sex but ability got decreased 3.feeling of sexual neurasthenia 4.mental depression 5.Great loss of semen during sleep without any dreams specially in morning time. but it happens very rare 6.I have no problem with sleep 7.I have a chronic constipation problem. 8.I am also suffering from seasonal asthma elergy(only in winters) history : I have started masturbating from very early age and done in excess but now I do rarely. and I am suffering from this problem since 4 years.