Suggest treatment for nerve pain and redness on the neck

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: i have nerve pain in my left upper back, minor herniated disk and partial effacement of the CSF. The medication i am on is not taking the pain away, and it is getting worse. I have had a major migraine for the past two weeks, my vision is not the same, nauseous, diareah, dizzy, left ear pain, random redness on my neck, face and ears that is hot to touch, and pens and needles in my upper back and left hand. I am not sure what to do at this point. My pain management doctor will not do anything till next week, and my PCP will not touch me sense i am seeing pain management. I have had to call out of work on multiple days. I have been crying off and on and its so unbearable.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Specialized medical evaluation is necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Besides herniated disc disease that may cause pain and/or numbness on your upper left back, other conditions that may cause your other symptoms ( dizziness, vision issues, ear pain, redness and diarrhea ) should be considered.

An infection of the middle ear for example may result in such symptoms.

So, besides waiting for pain management and PCP evaluation, in my opinion, you should get evaluated by an ENT Doctor or by a Neurologist about these other symptoms.

Imaging studies of upper cervical spine and brain are necessary also ( CT scan, MRI ) if MRI was done only on spine.

So, please seek those other specialized medical evaluation about these issues, besides treatment for herniated disc disease.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
I was seen by a neurologist not too long ago. He stated "I do not see why you are in pain". HE referred me to do physical therapy again, and that was it. He did not review my main complaint and only addressed the herniated disk.

My main compliant is the upper lest back pain. It is hypersensitive in which i cannot wear a bra with a strap, water from the shower hurts, and when my shirt rubs across the skin. Would this be caused from a C5-C7 herniated disk? I have had this pain for about 4-5 year and it has not been this back nor as constant since November of last year. This is when all the other symptoms started. (left arm numbness, partial hand tingling and numbs, loosing grip, left shoulder pain, vision issues, constant migraines, extreme fatigue, balance issues, mood swings).

Brief Answer:
Consider causalgia then.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and thanks for further clarifications.

In such case, I think it's necessary to consider complex regional pain syndrome (type 2), or causalgia, as the condition that is causing your issues.

The diagnosis is mainly clinical and sympathetic nerve blocks are necessary for treatment and confirmation of diagnosis.

It is necessary to discuss with your Doctor about this possibility.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 10 minutes later
Thank you, I have never heard of this. I am also wondering since i had gotten shingles when i was 16 (almost wrapped around me along my bra line) if it it s reason for the nerve pain as well. It is in a different area, but just wondering if it can be related and if i could get shingles again.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Shingles may recur.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Shingles could cause neuropathic pain and sensory changes, but other features are visible on skin too.

If you were infected once, it is possible for shingles to recur.

Your symptoms, in my opinion, point towards causalgia, so, get evaluated about it.

Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana