Suggest treatment for nerve injury caused by herpes zoster

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Jan 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am going through and almost done with the Shingle lesions and i have been released to go back to work, but the virus has grabbed the left side of my tongue and bottom left side of my teeth completely Numb and at times my tongue feels like a balloon, then at times it feels raw and very painful i have to coat it with oral paste just to be able to get through the day, how long will this last and any suggestions to calm down my Tongue, it is hard to get through the day and night?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take medications as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Herpes zoster related nerve injury recover to maximum extent in few weeks on treatment.
The associated numbness, tingling occurs for few months also. You may consider the use of pregabalin or gabapentin after discussing with your physician. In my opinion it should help you.

Besides, you should get evaluated for blood sugar or other diseases causing lowered immunity. Avoid any steroid without doctors prescription in future.

Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad