Suggest treatment for nephrotic syndrome

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Sat, 17 May 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hi DOC,
i have affected with urine infection first time after renal biopsy the report shows that i had kidney minimal change.My nefrology doctors asked me to take omnacortle 40mg 2 tablets perday for around 1 and half month and after that they told me that they will reduce it around 20mg and go for around 6 months.i am currently on the treatment now.i had the urine infection on 21st march and i admitted around 2 times and take injected with 2 times plasma and and 4 times albumine.My creatine level boosted to 2.3and now its in 1.but my albumin level shows (+++) 3 pluses doctor told me that minimum is at 1 or 2 plus.i want to know that is there any other treatment or solution for non taking these steriods for this treatment and what are the side effects for taking omnacortil 80 mg tablet per day.please help me on this.
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steroids are drug of choice

Detailed Answer:
Namasthe
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear XXXX

The diagnosis of your kidney condition is Nephrotic Syndrome.
When blood flows through kidney water and electrolytes are filtered out in the tubules of kidney. Majority of it is reabsorbed back into blood. Limited abount of water, urea, creatinine is excreted out which is Urine. Proteins present in blood is not excreted into Urine, its possible due to presence of tight junction between the cells lining the tubules of kidney. They effectively prevent excretion of lipids and proteins.
There might occur increased microscopic gap between cells causing minimal change nephrotic syndrome. It causes excretion of protein into the urine causing Proteinuria . This increased excretion of protein in urine cause plasma proteins to be less. So that was the reason of you needing albumin and plasma transfusion.

In order to reduce the protein excretion from kidney , steroid are required. They are drug of choice in management of nephrotic syndrome caused by minimal change disease. Other drugs can be used but have more side effects than steroid.
Omnocortil used in dosage of 80mg , the most commonest side effect is pimple, mild elevation of blood pressure. Long term use may cause excess depostion of fat and matrix around the face and shoulder.
In nephrotic syndrome , steroids are usually used for 3-6 months and the steroids are slowly tappered.
Use of face wash thrice a day will be helpful in controlling pimples.

Steroids are comparatively safe and side effect profile is comparatively lesser than other drugs that can be used.

In case you need any further assistance kindly get back to me, will be glad to assist you.

Take Care

Best Regards
DR T Shobha Deepak
MBBS,MD