question-icon

Suggest treatment for neck pain

Posted on Tue, 22 Aug 2017
Question: I have a lot of neck pain, mostly on the right side. It began gradually last week but is more severe now. In the past it came on when I was spending a lot of time on my computer but was relieved when I lay down on the sofa. Now that doesn't work. I am 85 and in good health.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar (33 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Take treatment as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.

There is a possibility of muscular spasm due to continuous straining.
At this age, another possibility can be disc prolapse.

You should take pain killers with muscle relaxants like Aceclofenac or Diclofenac with Tizanidine or Thiocolchicoside for few days (you may need a prescription from your local physician for these).
Local pain reliever ointment (eg. Diclofenac) can also be taken.

If not relieved despite this, then imaging of cervical spine(X-rays and/ MRI) may be needed.

Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.

Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist