Suggest treatment for neck pain in an elderly person when diagnosed with mild diverticulitis

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: My mother is 86 years old. She complains of pain from her neck to her waist. It is not worse when she eats. She was already diagnosed with mild diverticulitis but this is above that area? The gastroenterologist is lost here.... She was normally active but now she has no energy and lays down all day... Any ideas?I want to add.. She has macular degeneration and only has about 20 percent of her vision... She gets regular shots of eylea into her eye... I don't know if that means anything. She also has arthritis in her neck.She says it is a dull pain in the entire upper body. Her heart and lungs are in great shape. And mentally she is fine but lately seems depressed all the time.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry about

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome to HEALTH CARE MAGIC..

How was your day?

Hope this message finds you in good health.

I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern.

I appreciate your sense of diagnosing a condition. I say this because you have guessed everything almost right.

Your mother has diverticulitis,but it doesn't present in this way.

Her eye,heart ,lungs have nothing to do with her present condition.

At our clinic, we see many patients like her and we have found that such complaints are a combination of arthritis pain and a related depression.

I can see the same problem in your mother, 80 % it is due to her spine arthritis.
As spine is the organ that carries our body weight,because of her dull pain,she is not able to bear her weight while in upright position

That's why she is trying to avoid the pain by lying down (no weight on her spine in lying down position), so she prefers sleeping in this position.

But ,I would suggest her not to be in this position as it will cause other old age problems. She should ambulate and start walking as early as possible.

There is a belt called TAYLOR'S BRACE, that can be worn on the spine, while ambulating. It will give support to whole spine and reduce the dull pain to a large extent

She should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about     

I hope your question has been answered.

Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries. Take care, God bless.
Wish you a healthy life.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion.

Kind Regards..
Dr Mahaveer Patil, (MBBS,MS,Mch)
Consulting Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer , PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee