• question-icon

Suggest treatment for neck pain, chest congestion, head cold, dizziness and severe cough

Posted on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: YES, yesterday I began having pain in my upper spine in my neck leading into my head the pain became intense whenever I moved my head in any direction. my husband gave me a neck brace which lifted my head and that made the pain able to bear, but still very uncomfortable. I usually sleep with 2 pillows but last night used only 1 woke up this morning with the same pain. I have been suffering for over 2 weeks with chest congestion and a head cold, the head has cleared but the chest still has not. I do feel a bit weak, slightly dizzy, and my eye sight seems to be blurry. There is no pain upon touching the area.
YYYY@YYYY

I AM STILL COUGHING AND HAVE QUITE A LOT OF PHLEGM COMING UP. I HAVE BEEN TAKING OVER THE COUNTER MUCUS RELIEF BUT STOPPED A FEW DAYS AGO. SHOULD I RESUME THAT?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop self medicating yourself

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am

After going through the medical details provided by you the most important thing which I want to tell you is that stop medicating yourself as it will just worsen things for you.

From your symptoms it's clear that you are suffering from a respiratory tract infection most likely lower resp tract.

It's highly advisable that you should personally consult a pulmonologist or a chest specialist as few test like chest X-ray and blood tests need to be done. Also you need to be started on a antibiotic therapy.

For symptom relief you can take steam inhalation.

I hope this information will guide you properly. Feel free to ask if you have any other doubts or else you can close the discussion and kindly rate the answer.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 16 minutes later
WHAT DOES ANY OF THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE INTENSE PAIN IN MY UPPER SPINE (NECK)??
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Regarding your pain in the neck region that can be due to age related degenerative changes that happens with advancing age. It may not be related to any other symptoms described by you.

In your case the pain could be due to cervical spondylitis. Xray cervical spine is needed to confirm the diagnosis and then decide the management plan accordingly.

Avoid taking big pillow while sleeping and continue to use cervical collar or brace especially while travelling. And consult an orthopaedics.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist