Suggest treatment for neck pain and stiff neck

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 15 Sep 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: A couple days ago i woke up with a stiff neck from sleeping in a funky position. Not out of the norm for me. Throughout the day my neck was still still, tried massaging it, drank lots of water, stretched slowly etc.later that evening i popped my neck from side to side and going left felt fine but when i went to the right, it wasnt good. It hurt, and made a not so pleasant sound. The next morning i woke up with what sorta felt like an ear infection, later that afternoon i noticed my right side of my neck was swelling. Just from above my collar bone area to below my jaw. Hurts when i swallow here and there thru out the day. No white spots or XXXXXXX stuff (like if i had strep). This is now day four of the whole situation Unfortunatley i am a smoker, and a meth smoker. Im 25 and have XXXXXXX doing both, heavily sinve i was 13. Oh and ive had open heart surgery when i was a child. Help?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gurgling with lukewarm water should provide relief.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
I have very carefully gone through the details provided and understand your concerns. Due to improper posture you had probably got a spasm of your neck muscles and probably it was more on the right side. You had done the right thing by doing neck exercises. However, in such cases taking paracetamol and hot compress can also be relieving.
The ear infection is probably unrelated. Rather than an ear infection, it seems to me that you could be having sore throat. There is a tube that connects between the middle ear cavity and the throat and it is likely that the problem thas thereby involved your ear(s). Gurgling with lukewarm water should provide relief.
The open heart surgery that you had in your childhood probably directly concern us in such a case but I would suggest you to cut down on your smoking if possible.
If you have any specific queries, please let me know and I would try to guide you further.