Suggest treatment for neck lump

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Lump
Question: We found a little lymp on my son's neck as in photo attached, we went to emergency as i was so worried, made ulta sound(report attached), please let me know if this lymp is serious or if it will get bigger?? Is it a sign for something serious like cancer?!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is not serious. And its not a cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

This lump is nothing more than an enlarged lymph node. Lymph nodes usually get enlarged due to infection. Lymph node is a kind of station for white blood cells. When there is an infection in close area, the white blood cells are coming to that place and stay in lymph node. That is why it gets enlarged.
In case if lymphoma, not only one lymph node appears. Usually there are multiply lymph nodes in the neck, armpits, chest, groins. Night sweats, weakness, weight loss are typical for lymphoma. So I do not think this is a lymphoma sign.

You have the lymph node diagnosed with an ultrasound. It is single. Not cancerous (it is visible in the ultrasound if the lymph node is suspicious or not).

I suggest you to check your sons throat and lungs for possible source of an infection. Antibiotic treatment seems advisable. This should cause the lymph node to become smaller.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 hours later
Hi doctor, we found another lymph node at the base of his neck front, is it okay?!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see laryngologist.

Detailed Answer:
You should consult laryngologist at first to rule out possible sources of infection (including enlarged tonsils). And blood work should be considered.