Suggest treatment for neck and chest pain

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
I have two issues:

1. Neck pain, started on the right side of the neck about 1.5 years back. Recently it started appearing on the left side also. The pain is generally very mild and it is there almost all the time, with changing intensity. Pain increase when I move the neck or when sleeping. Tried Etos and Dolonex. These tablets give temporary relief.

2. Chest pain: This appears when I cough or when the body moves in some particular directions. This is mainly on the left side of the chest and is not there all the time. Pain is very mild, but irritating. Consulted cardiologist, done chest x-ray, ultrasound of chest, and cardiac tests to rule out any heart related issues. All tests were negative. Also tried antacid tablets

Questions:

1. Are these ignorable or serious issues which need treatment?
2. What you suggest as a next step? Do I need to consult any specialist? If so which specialization for the above issues?
3. Are these related issues? Both the above problems started roughly about 1.5 to 2 years back.

Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that

1. Your neck pain could probably be due age related cervical spondylitis. You need to get a cervical spine xray done. Also I would like to suggest you to use small flat pillow while sleeping.

2. As all your basic cardiac tests were normal so there is no need to worry for this chest discomfort. As you said it happens when you cough so it could probably be due to some muscle soreness. Just try to keep yourself warm and take good protein diet as it will help the muscles recover.

I don't feel the need of any further investigation as of now.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for neck and chest pain 9 hours later
Thank you again, for the quick reply.

I had undergone CT Angiography for the heart but there were no serious issues in the report. Are you referring to the same test?

Thank you for the prompt reply.

1. Any treatment available for cervical spondylitis? Which specialist to consult for this problem? Does this come under orthopedics?

2. Chest pain: Any tests to find out the root cause, assuming heart is O.K? I want to be 100% sure that this problem can be ignored.

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
1. Yes, you need to consult an Orthopaedician for this.

2. If you want to be 100% sure then you have to get Angiography done.

I hope this information will answer your query

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap

Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
Yes Sir, that's the test. Then you should relax now as your CT Angiography was also normal. You can ignore that without any issue.

Hope to have been helpful.

Kind Regards
Dr. Bhanu Partap