Suggest treatment for nausea, headache, dizziness, bloating, intestinal gas and abdominal pain

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Do i have crohn's disease? or IBS?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please let me know why you suspected a diagnosis of IBS

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Please list the symptoms that are troubling you and have led you to suspect a diagnosis of IBS.

I look forward to hearing from you in order to help you accurately.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 40 minutes later
The symptoms that i have include: naseua, headache, dizziness when standing, tender stomach, bloating, extreme amounts of gas, pain in stomach everywhere and hurts a lot when touched, It's hard for me to do a ton of activity without being in pain. I have had test done for my thyroid before so i don't believe it's hormonal, and i have had an egd and an ultra, the egd came back with chronic inflammation. I also have incredibly awful acid reflux, and most foods make me sick, i have cut out gluten and dairy and still feel very sick everyday. i frequently have bowl movements and sometimes they are suddenly unset, and also painful. I hope to hear back soon on what this could possibly be.

I also have anemia.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I have a number of suggestions for you, please make note

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Based on your symptoms, it does seem like your diagnosis could lean towards IBS or other conditions like inflammatory bowel disease. And so although you have eluded gluten and diary from your diet, I would like you to understand that this will not suffice.

IBS requires numerous changes in your diet, and you need to find and eliminate all those causes from your diet in order to find complete relief. Let me try and make an elaborate list of items you need to avoid from your diet:

+Chocolate
+Caffeine
+Tea
+All drinks, edibles containing caffeine (e.g. various carbonated drinks, energy drinks, etc.)
+Carbonated drinks
+Taurine (a substance found in most drinks)
+Fructose and other sweetened food and drinks
+Certain types of fruits (especially those with skin like apples, etc.)
+Certain vegetables (E.g. cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.)
+Avoid spicy food
+Avoid fatty food
+Avoid fried food (Very important and common trigger)
+Avoid oily food
+Avoid alcohol completely
+Avoid large meals, instead have 5-6 smaller meals with items safe to be consumed
+Avoid all foods that are a rich source of fiber
+Avoid all dairy products (E.g. cheese)
+Avoid all gluten containing products
+Avoid processed food (E.g. chips, etc.)
+Avoid stress
+Avoid a substance called sorbitol that is present in many foods, medications, drinks, etc.
+Do not chew gum
+Do not eat too quickly
+Only mild forms of exercise for at least 30 minutes a day (avoid vigorous exercise and avoid not exercising also)

The most important approach towards treating IBS is educating yourself on the condition. Start observing what you are eating, and what food or drink makes your symptoms appear.

One particular symptom that helps with observing what is good for you and what is not, is the increased urge to pass your bowels soon after having certain food items. This symptom is your gastrointestinal tract (GIT) telling you that what you just ate is not acceptable by your body and needs to be excluded from your diet completely.

Please note that there will be one particular item in your meal that may be causing the symptoms and you will have to learn with experience and exclude that particular item from your diet.

I would like to first emphasise on excluding all the above mentioned trigger foods and drinks, and only then speaking to your doctor about the initiation of capsules of mebeverine which will help to relieve most of your symptoms.

I hope I have not made this response too long, please forgive me if I have. Write back to me for a list of foods that are safe to have along with a few other tips.

Best wishes ma'am.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 37 minutes later
I honestly eat boiled chicken, gluten free bread that is toasted with dairy free butter on it. And rice. That's all. That's all I can stomach without feeling incredibly sick and even then everyday I still feel sick. I don't eat chocolate I don't drink or eat anything with caffeine I don't drink soda. I eat a yogurt once a day but sometimes go without to see if that changes things. That's all I eat. I hope that's helpful. I avoid literally every food still and no easing of symptoms. Could other forms of medicine help ease the pain and illness I feel.
Brief Answer:
I strongly recommend the initiation of these 2 medications

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Avoid toasting the bread, also avoid the butter. Try other options.

I do recommend two medications for your particular case:

1. Capsules of mebeverine one capsule twice a day for a duration of 2-3 months

2. Fluoxetine

As this forum does not permit the giving out of prescriptions, I recommend you visit your doctor and discuss these medications as they will surely provide you with the relief you really need right now.

Please do try your best to get the appointment on an emergency basis. Please also do not hesitate to write to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Okay! When I go to my primary physician should I ask them about Ibs or suggest that could be wrong?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your doctor needs to consider it and initiate treatment,hoping for the best

Detailed Answer:
Hi ma'am.

There is no harm in it, but some doctors do get annoyed when a patient puts forward the diagnosis for them.

I would recommend you first discuss your symptoms in detail with your doctor, along with an elaborate history. Then if the doctor does not suspect it himself/herself, you can suggest it in the form of a story:

E.g. An acquaintance of neighbour had similar symptoms, and was later diagnosed with IBS, do you think that could be a possibility in my case?

I really hope your doctor is open to your suggestions/hints, and also makes a rapid diagnosis. I would also like you to know that I am an IBS-suferer myself and have not had an episode in over 5 years now, and not with the help of medications, but with dietary and lifestyle modifications. Please feel free to write to me anytime, we can get through this.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 minutes later
I don't eat spicy foods or fast food or anything greasy. I also don't drink coffee or pop. I don't smoke or drink. And I also get a decent amount of physical activity everyday. What other life styles changes could there be?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Its a long learning process ma'am, you need to start observing your respons

Detailed Answer:
Hi ma'am.

As i mentioned in one of my earlier responses, this condition is somewhat individual-specific, there are certain items that only you might react to and not others with the same condition.

So you have to keep learning from your experiences. Trust me, I was even admitted to the hospital once due to excessive blood loss that resulted from a long duration of IBS-related symptoms that eroded the blood vessels in my intestine causing me to bleed anally.

But I finally learned, and am now symptom-free for a long time. Start with the medications I have prescribed you, and continue to make changes in your diet and lifestyle. Check out my list of trigger items in one of my previous responses, and also make your own notes based on your response.

And should you ever need me, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj