• question-icon

Suggest treatment for nausea, dizziness and breathing diffuclty

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: HI, a month ago I was hit while walking through the XXXXXXX airport directly from behind by a person pushing a large trash hauler. It was loaded too high and he could not see me. Since this time I have experienced nausea, dizziness, increased heart rate, labored breathing, a feeling of heaviness in my chest and abdomen. I have a sudden increase in abdominal weight. I am 52 years old, 90 pound , very healthy lifestyle and a very fit individual. I am active in yoga, biking, walking, barre, and swimming. I am a neuropsychologist and teach Brain Health and Performance courses and lead related programming at a local university. Shortly after the accident I had headache, nausea, vomiting, neck, shoulder, elbow, hip and knee pain secondary to impact and fall that through me several feet forward and eventually hitting the floor. I was carrying a heavy backpack on my back at the time and pulling a piece of carry on luggage. I was evaluated with head CT at ED 72 hours post and diagnosed with concussion and whiplash. The nausea, dizziness and weight gain along with cognitive blunting have persisted. Secondary to persistent symptoms, I considered pregnancy although I have 3 negative home pregnancy tests. Post the accident I have had significant challenges with balance and endurance and have difficulties completing yoga and barre. I must concentrate significantly more than normal on all tasks and have word finding challenges. The increased heart rate is constant and major with any effort. For example, climbing a flight of stairs leaves me winded and extremely fatigued. Today, when I tried my first bike ride post accident I could barely ride 1/10 of my normal route and thought I was going to vomit and black out. I have an unremarkable health history. Although when at the ED they did suggest I follow up with my PCP for minimal concern related to liver enzyme and thyroid finding. Although only 2 weeks before I had my annual exam and everything was in normal limits.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hormones imbalance and PTSD to consider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Symptoms you describe may point to post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), but also may be related to hormonal changes ( low estrogen ), low thyroid gland function, hypophysis dysfunction, etc.

So, in my opinion, you should be evaluated further about any hormones imbalance.

If hormonal imbalances will be excluded after appropriate lab tests, PTSD should be taken in consideration.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical