Suggest treatment for nausea and vomiting

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
My 29 yr old son spent 5 years in Japan and came home 8/22/14 in good health. In November he spent 3 weeks in NYC, coming home 12/5/14. A week later he got sick with flu like symptoms. Gradually he got better except for nausea and vomiting. He has had this ever since. He has been to doctors, had lab test, sonogram, and endoscopy. He's been treated for gastric reflux although he has never had issues with that in the past. He is also looking his hair.
He is not able to work because he throws up all day and night.
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gastroesophageal reflux

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

By what you quote I think the symptoms are suggestive of gastroesophageal reflux. The gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) can develop at any point of time even in normal individuals and stress could be a precipitating factor. If you think he is stressed out due to unemployment, kindly talk him out of it gently. The best way to treat GERD is to take the prescribed medications properly without fail and even more important is the life style changes which we physicians mention. Some of these are hereunder -
1. Avoid spicy food especially at night.
2. Do not lie down immediately after having food.
3. Consume more of curds and buttermilk.
4. Make sure he drinks lots of water after eating food.
5. If possible keep the head end of the cot (not bed or pillows) elevated by 30 degrees while sleeping.

I have gone through your query completely and yes, GERD chronically can lead to Berrets oesophagus and the best way to control its symptoms are to follow the medications and suggestions for GERD meticulously. Berrets oesophagus has no medical cure as such specifically. Some times surgery can be an option, but its not a decision to be taken on light grounds.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,