Suggest treatment for nausea and difficulty swallowing when diagnosed with hiatal hernia

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I difficulty swallowing food that is low in fibre. Also. I have constant nausea. I wake up with it in the morning and deal with it most of the day. Sometimes it goes away if I eat, but not always. Can the nausea be a result of the hernia. I am not happy with my gastroenterologist ignoring my hernia. Thanks. (I am changing Doctors for a second opinion.) I have had a multitude of tests and not abonormalities have been found to cause the nausea.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Motility study needed...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking.
I read carefully all your concerns and I can say as follows :
1. Yes it is true that hiatal hernia can cause nausea and acid reflux, but I need to know about the size of it.
It would be better if you send me upper endoscopy report so I can check it by myself.
2.Another important reason of nausea is gastroparesis.
This is why to my opinion you should do motility study of stomach .
You need to know if the empty time of the stomach is normal or longer.
Barium swallow test may help you to better evaluate your issues.

Meantime I would suggest to use a prokinetic drug like domperidon and continue your current treatment.
I am waiting your medical reports.
Hope it was helpful to you!
Dr.Klerida