Suggest treatment for nausea and anxiety

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Every once in a while ( twice today but last time was months ago ) I get this overwhelming sensation that I am going to pass out and I feel only very slightly nauseous and quite anxious about it. If I just sit down or lie down, it goes away. But it scares me. It seems to come out of nowhere. Last night it was the middle of the night ( I stayed in bed ) and then this morning after being awake for 1 1/2 hours it came over me on the stairs at home. I had to sit down and rest. It went away. Otherwise I feel pretty healthy. I will be 64 in Nov.
What could be the reason for this? I would say it has been going on for maybe 2 years.....occurrences infrequent enough that I forget them. But today was twice.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed though your question and would explain that it is important performing a comprehensive differential diagnosis of different causes that may lead to your symptomatology:

- a cardiac arrhythmia
- low blood pressure or orthostatic hypotension
- partial epilepsy seizures
- anxiety.

For this reason, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a physical exam and perform some tests:

- a cardiac ultrasound to examine your cardiac function and structure
- an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring to examine your heart rhythm trends during the day and exclude possible arrhythmia
- some blood lab tests to exclude possible metabolic disorders that may trigger these symptoms : a complete blood count for anemia, thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction, blood electrolytes for possible imbalance
- an EEG, if all the above tests result normal, in order to rule in/out possible partial epilepsy.

Meanwhile, I recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure in sitting and standing up position and refer those values to your doctor. A Head Up Tilt test may be needed if suspicions of orthostatic hypotension are raised.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri