Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for nasal congestion

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
My name is XXXXXXX I am a 44yr old type 1 IDDM of 38 years. My past medical Hx has included both thrush and sepsis with candida albicans. Last Nov. I under went surgery for a torn rotator cuff. Before the procedure I informed both the anesthesiologist and ortho surgeon that I was currently being treated w Nystatin swish and swallow TID po for thrush. I asked if I should delay the procedure and both docs said, "no." Two weeks post op I was diagnosed with my first sinus infection by an ENT. He did both a culture and a CT scan, prescribed 30 days of Augmentin. Although p 30 days my nasal discharge was clear I continued to have severe congestion and my diabetes was still requiring "sick day protocall". I have been to see 3 more ENT,s. Each claims I have no congestion and all have dismissed the possibility of a Fungal sinus infection. I've resorted to a home remedy of XXXXXXX cider treatment both nasally and orally. It causes lots of drainage of what appears to be necrotic tissue. I am very fatigued. Is there a modern treatment for yeast infection that doesn't cause so much discomfort and we'll work more quickly?
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Consult infectious disease specialist Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Based on the symptoms, duration and the onset of the condition, I suspect it to be a fungal infection only. This is very typical, as you have history of such infections, you were in the post operative stress and not treated with antifungals initially. No home remedies will help as you are seeing necrotic debri in the nasal discharge. Before it gets too late, I recommend a visit to a Infectious disease specialist who can identify the condition and place you on aggressive antifungal therapy which could help. Wish you good health. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor