Suggest treatment for nasal congestion

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: what can you do about a nose that is stopped up on both sides and nose spray does not work?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try pseudo ephedrine (oral) and Flonase

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I am sorry your nose is stopped up. I see that you have tried Tylenol Sinus, which contains acetaminophen an phenylephrine. Phenylephrine is a decongestant, but it is not as strong as pseudoephedrine for decongesting. You can still buy pseudo ephedrine without prescription but you have to ask the pharmacist for it - it won't be on a regular shelf. They keep it behind the pharmacy counter to prevent large purchases of it for producing illegal drugs.

Before purchasing pseudo ephedrine, tell the pharmacist any other medications you may be on to make sure the combo is ok for you.

The other thing I would suggest is a nasal steroid such as Flonase. This is also sold without prescription. It is very good for decreasing nasal/sinus mucus membrane inflammation. It needs to be used daily to work, and will take a few days to see the maximum benefit.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.