• question-icon

Suggest treatment for nasal congestion

Posted on Tue, 27 Jan 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Nasal congestion for long time

I'm pregnant with 4 and half month. Thyroid problem occurs during pregnancy taking thyronorm 30 mcg . Suffering from extreme acidity taking pan 40 for 4 days. I'm suffering with Nasal congestion or cough mucus green color from 15 days.

For this I'm using xylomist nasal drops from around a month.
Taking Alaspan AM from 5 days two times .
Efcorlin nasal drop from 5 days
whenever I take nasal drops I can breath from nose or my nose gets open up , however , when the effect of nasal drops goes away my nose becomes stuffy and stiff cough inside nose thru which I cannot breath at all
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are most probably having Rhinitis medicamentosa .

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query , reviewed your medications and understand your concern.

As per your clinical history it appears that you are most probably having Rhinitis medicamentosa . It is due use of topical vasoconstrictive nose drop for more than 6 days like xylomist nasal drops . They are addictive .

Since your are pregnant , I would advice you use minimal medication .
I would advice ,
Steam Inhalation twice daily,
Saline nasal spray thrice daily like solspre & nasal wash like Neti wash thrice daily ,
Combination Steroid nasal spray with antihistamine 2 puff each nostril twice daily like duonase or nezalast decrease frequency after relief (all this are locally acting ) &
antibiotic azithromycin for 3 days .

Stop xylomist nasal drops , Alaspan AM contain Ambroxol & Efcorlin nasal drop .

You will need to see your doctor to get a prescription.

Initial few days will be little difficult without decongestant nasal drops but after that you will get relief .

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 10 hours later
Many thanks for diagnosing the root cause of the problem.

I want to ask you can I start Taking the medication you have suggested or do I still need to visit doctor for the prescription?

My next concern is suffocation issue. As you have suggested not to use xylomist or any decongestant. However , if I not use any decongestant then I cannot sleep at night as I hv to breath through mouth which gets dry up and creates further problem. I end up feeling suffocated without xylomist.
So is there any medicine or nose drop which I can at least use during night time for proper sleep and which can open my nose for few hours?

The mucus Inside nose is very stiff or rigid it is not coming out properly so when will I get rid of mucus or cough completely or exactly how Many days it will take to get over this problem.

Waiting for the reply... Many thanks...
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You will need prescription to get it .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up query.

Treatment plan I suggested contain prescription drug, so you will need prescription to get it .

Since your are pregnant, I would advice you use minimal medication.
You can use Antihistaminic levocetirizine + Montelukast combination like Montek LC or Romilast L10 at night for few days till relief.

For mucus inside nose use Steam Inhalation twice daily,
Saline nasal spray thrice daily like solspre & nasal wash like Neti wash thrice daily .

You will require 7 days to get over this problem. Initial few days will be little difficult .

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 52 minutes later
Thanks for fast reply.

Will you please tell me or suggest me in totality of medicine and nasal drop which I need to take during night and morning time and for so many days each nose drop and medicine in a precise way.or you can write me in a way of prescription.

Thanks.

I would appreciate if you can reply me little faster as I want to start the medication as early as possible.

I can get the medicines thru chemist shop directly without prescription , However if you still feel I need to visit the doctor please let me know.

I'm little confused with the over all or total medicines which I need to take for example you suggested me antibiotic azithromycin 250 or 500 mg? twice or once in a day?

Similarly antihistaminic medicines montek lc or nasal drops duonose which one is required?

Steroid combination nasal drop is required or not?

Anti
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up query.

Treatment plan for you would be
Steam Inhalation twice daily,
Saline nasal spray 3 puff each nostril thrice daily - solspre &
nasal wash with - Neti wash ( Sun pharma ) thrice daily till you get relief ,
Combination Steroid nasal spray with antihistamine 2 puff each nostril twice daily like -duonase or nezalast nasal spray till you get relief ,
Tab Montek LC or Romilast L10 at night for 7 days &
Tab azithromycin 500mg once for 3 days .

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 5 hours later
Thanks ..

I just want to add is it necessary Taking antibiotic azithromycin as it has many side effects and since I'm pregnant can it cause any harm to me or fetus?

Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic azithromycin is catergory B drug in pregnancy .

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ,
Thanks for the follow up query.

You have mention that you have green color mucus. It is most likely because of bacterial infection .

Antibiotic azithromycin is catergory B drug in pregnancy . It means may be acceptable in pregnancy with no risk found .

If you want , you can avoid antibiotic you will still get relief .

Regards.

Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist